What was the most difficult part about diving into the saltwater realm?

• I'm curious since I have always wanted to get a saltwater setup going, but seem to always read and read and see the costs (and of course the persistent care they require). In your own experience when setting up either your first tank, your current one, or any of them, what was the hardest part and the lesson(s) that you learned from it?

• When I was doing saltwater, I don’t recall the cost being that much more than freshwater. In addition to all the normal supplies, you really only need the following extras: a protein skimmer, salt, and the hydrometer (spelling? device to measure specific gravity). The fish are generally more costly and coral (if you do a reef tank) can be ridiculously expensive.

On the flip side, I found it easier to set up new tanks since live rock and live sand are readily available. Cycling was much quicker.

And it seems like I did smaller/less frequent water changes. Of course, I always lean towards under stocking.

• When I was doing saltwater, I don’t recall the cost being that much more than freshwater. In addition to all the normal supplies, you really only need the following extras: a protein skimmer, salt, and the hydrometer (spelling? device to measure specific gravity). The fish are generally more costly and coral (if you do a reef tank) can be ridiculously expensive.

On the flip side, I found it easier to set up new tanks since live rock and live sand are readily available. Cycling was much quicker.

And it seems like I did smaller/less frequent water changes. Of course, I always lean towards under stocking.

Would you recommend a salt water tank to a newbie?

Something about them and the types of additions was always appealing to me.